Poisonous house plants and poisonous household products can seem very inviting, unfortunately, for a curious cat. These items should be kept away from your cat in sealed containers or, in case of plants, out of the cat's reach.
You may not see your cat eating or licking these substances, but if your cat is excessively drooling/vomiting, has convulsions, muscle tremors, or weakness,
they may have been into something poisonous. Call the vet (they may
have immediate steps they want you to take before you leave) and get
your pet veterinary help immediately. (See also the symptoms of cat shock.)
If you know what the substance was that your cat ate or drank, bring the bottle with you to the vet. The easier it is for the vet to know what poison they are dealing with, the faster your pet will get help.
If you do not know the name of the poisonous house plant, break off a sprig if you can to take with you, provide a detailed description, or take a picture of the plant with your phone.
Try to prevent accidental eating of poisonous household products by either not using them at all, or making sure the bottles are closed tightly with no spillage.
Think about your cat's habits and adjust accordingly - for instance, don't put toilet bowl cleaner into the bowl, leave the lid up then leave the room. The cat could hop up and take a drink before noticing the cleaner. Cats are very curious!
If the product is hazardous to humans' skin or is toxic to us, it will also harm pets.
However, there are some products - Tylenol or any human painkillers - that are toxic to cats even in small amounts.
Some Poisonous Household Products:
These are the more common plants. If your cat seems ill or is having symptoms of poisoning, call your vet!
Return To Cat First Aid
Return From Poisonous House Plants And Products To Quality Cat Care Home